- How We Can Help
- Cared for Condition
- Carer Toolkits
- Carer Assessments
- Carer Benefits Advice Service
- Carers Emergency Contact Card
- Carer Equipment Service
- Carer Health and Wellbeing Fund
- Check in and Chat for carers
- Contingency Planning
- Counselling Service for Carers
- Hospital Admission Support
- Refugees and Asylum Seeker Carers
- Rest and Respite
- Local Area Support
- Get Involved
- For Professionals
- About Us
How To Request A Care Needs Assessment
The Care Needs Assessment is free to request and is for anyone who thinks that they or someone they know, needs help with day-to-day life. Your first step in this process is to request a needs assessment from your local council, click below to be taken to the goverment postcode search to find who to contact to set up your needs assessment
What can I expect during the assessment?
Firstly you will be contacted by someone from the council (like a social worker) who will ask you a few important questions about how you are managing with your daily tasks.
You may need to also have a separate assessment at your house if from your answers it seems that you will need alterations at home.
The assessment will either take place face-to-face or over the phone, but you will be made aware of which. The assessment can last up to an hour.
Can I prepare for the assessment?
Below are some tips on things you can do to prepare for your assessment:
- Take a friend or relative with you, or have them near if the assessment is done over the phone. This may make you feel more comfortable.
- When answering questions give as much detail as you possibly can about what you are struggling with. No matter how unimportant the detail seems, they are all crucial to making sure you get all the additional care you need.
- If you want to talk to someone about your assessment before it takes place, you can use any of the below contact details
- Your local council’s social services department – find your local council on GOV.UK
- Age UK’s free helpline on 0800 055 6112
- Independent Age’s free helpline on 0800 319 6789
- The Family Rights Group’s free helpline on 0808 801 0366
The Needs Assessment results
The results of your assessment will tell you what kind of help the council thinks you need and what will be provided. You will also then have a financial assessment to determine if the council will pay for your help, or if you will pay towards the care.
To read more about the Needs Assessment, please visit the NHS website link below.