Key points regarding vaccinations as a family and friend carer:
- Adults aged 50+ will automatically be invited for the COVID-19 Booster.
- Those that have received the vaccination already will automatically be invited for the Booster, but not until 6 months after the second COVID-19 jab.
- You will receive a text / letter from the NHS Call and Recall service or, if your GP knows you are an unpaid carer you will be contacted by the GP for your Booster.
- You are encouraged to get the Flu vaccination as soon as it is offered to you and not to wait to have the Flu and Covid jabs together.
- You are encouraged to ask if you and your cared for can receive the Booster at the same time if both are eligible.
- You are encouraged to tell your GP of your carer status and ask for this to be flagged on your records.
Booster COVID-19 Vaccination update from the Sussex Health and Care Partnership, NHS
The Government has approved plans for COVID-19 boosters for eligible groups.
Over the coming weeks, the NHS will begin offering booster jabs to those in eligible groups as the vaccination programme moves to the next stage.
Who will be eligible for the booster vaccination?
The same priority groups will be offered the boosters in phases.
- Care home residents
- Health and social care workers
- People aged over 50
- Those aged 16 to 49 years with underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk of severe COVID-19
- Adult carers
- Adult household contacts of immunosuppressed individuals will be offered a booster.
Vaccines will be delivered through existing vaccination sites including pharmacies, hospital hubs, GP practices and vaccine centres.
Local NHS areas will be prioritising care home residents and staff ensuring they are offered a vaccine by the beginning of November.
You do not need to contact the NHS to arrange your booster vaccine, the NHS will be in touch when you become eligible for the jab. There are approximately 4.5 million people in the priority groups eligible for a booster over the coming weeks.
You will get a call or text from your local GP led site to get the jab or will be invited by the National Booking Service.
Booster jabs are effective for topping up protection for those who have had both jabs from at the very least six months on after the second dose.