Here at Carers Support West Sussex, we completely understand how hard it can be to juggle the demands of a busy job and the needs of the person you care for. Your caring role could raise a host of questions: Which one do I prioritise? Will my manager mind if I take more time off to attend that doctor’s appointment with my cared for? This constant internal conflict can lead to anxiety and stress.
We would like to support you in your caring role to prevent you becoming one of the 1 in 6 who give up work or reduce hours due to caring responsibilities.
How we can support you
You will be pleased to hear, that as a family and friend carer, there is a lot of support available to you, so you are not alone in this. We have developed a dedicated offer for NHS employees, called ‘Colleagues as carers’. Through this offer, you can access personalised support to suit your caring role in the shape of:
- Online carer groups for NHS carers
- Carer contingency planning
- Emotional support
- Carer Discount Card
- Access to counselling
- Carer assessments
- Carer wellbeing fund
- Practical guidance (including wellbeing grants and information and funding for equipment)
- Information provision relevant to your caring situation
We will also work with the wider Hospital trust staff network, to increase awareness and therefore identification of working carers, such as yourself. The insight gained in the wider organisation means greater recognition of the stresses and strains that can come with balancing multiple responsibilities and therefore creating a supportive working environment for carers.
Who can access this support?
All NHS staff employed within the hospitals supported by Carers Support West Sussex we cover:
- Princess Royal Hospital Haywards Heath
- Kleinwort Community Hospital
- Brighton Royal Sussex County hospital
- East Surrey Hospital Redhill Surrey
- Crawley Community Hospital
- Horsham Community Hospitals
- Worthing General Hospital Worthing
- Salvington Lodge Community Hospital
- Zachary Murton Community Hospital
- St Richards Hospital Chichester
- Arundel Community hospital
- Donald Wilson House
- Bognor War Memorial Community Hospitals
How do I access this support?
To access Colleagues as carers, call 0300 028 8888 option 2, or email email@example.com to register with carers support West Sussex. Once you are registered, a wellbeing worker will contact you to establish which services are applicable to your caring role. From this point, you can decide how you would like to proceed.
Neighbouring carer support organisations
If you are a carer living outside West Sussex, you will be welcomed to attend the online carer groups for carers employed by the NHS and can access support from one of our equivalents in other counties. You can find more information using their websites:
East Sussex: www.cftc.org.uk/
Brighton and Hove: www.carershub.co.uk/